Simple Beef Stew
This hot, home-style, healthy meal incorporates fiber-rich carbohydrates, protein, fats, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients all into one dish, and it's delicious!
- 2 pounds beef filet or top sirloin trimming the fat
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 packet of beef stew seasoning mix
- 2 medium carrots cleaned and sliced
- 40 ounces raw with skin on and diced
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Coat beef with flour. Over medium heat, warm oil in a large skillet. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides.Add seasoning packet to 3 cups of water and stir well. Pour mixture over the beef and bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.While the meat is cooking, prep the potatoes and carrots. Peel the onion and slice in half. (Do not cut the onion. It will be added for flavor but later removed.)Add the diced potatoes, sliced carrots and 1/2 onion to the meat.Simmer for 1 hour or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Recipe makes 8 servings
- Serving Size- 1 cup
- Pairing Recommendation – serve with 1 slice crusty bread and 1 serving fruit
- Nutrition Facts (per 1-cup serving)- 320 calories, 31 grams’ carbohydrate, 3 grams’ fiber, 30 grams’ protein, 8 grams’ fat, 2 grams’ saturated fat, 80 mg cholesterol, 610 mg sodium, 20% daily iron, 25% daily potassium
- Meal Planning Servings: 2 CHO; 4 PRO; 2 FAT