Turkey, Bean and Pasta Soup
This turkey, bean and pasta soup is the perfect blend of nutrients to make a make a balanced meal – and it tastes great re-heated, too.
- 1 pound Ground Turkey Meatball Recipe
- 1 small Onion Meatball Recipe
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic Meatball Recipe
- 1 tsp Oil Meatball Recipe
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Meatball Recipe
- 4 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Pasta
- 1 can Cannelloni Beans
- 1 can unsalted Stewed Tomatoes
- 4 cups Ray Aby Spinach
- 2 cups Water
- 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 tsp Salt
Cook pasta according to the directions. Set aside.
Combine the ground turkey, diced onion, minced garlic and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well. Roll into mini meatballs and set on parchment paper.
In a large pot, combine water, low-sodium chicken broth, salt, stewed tomatoes and cannellini beans. Bring to a boil.
Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Add the mini meatballs to the oil and brown on all sides. Once sautéed, add turkey meatballs to the soup pot. Reduce-heat and simmer for 20 minutes to combine flavors.
Add spinach. Simmer an additional 10 minutes.
Add cooked pasta to the soup, stir and serve immediately. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
To prevent the pasta from over-cooking, do not add to the soup until the very end. If you are making this soup for the entire week, I recommend storing the pasta separately, then adding to the soup right before eating.
For a dairy-free option, omit the cheese
For a gluten-free: option, substitute gluten-free pasta
- Recipe Makes: 7 servings
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Nutrition Facts (per serving): 310 Calories, 37 Carbohydrates, 8 Fiber, 30 Protein, 6 Total Fat, 3 Saturated Fat, 600 mg Sodium, 4 mg daily iron, 208 mg daily calcium, 225 mg daily potassium.
- Meal Planning Servings: 2.5 CHO; 4 PRO; 1 FAT