Tri-Colored Tomato and Asparagus Salad
This colorful and refreshing tri-colored tomato and asparagus salad is loaded with fiber, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals and makes a perfect party or picnic salad
- 1/2 cup Reduced Fat Feta Cheese
- 1 cup Chopped Basil Leaves
- 1 pound Fresh Asparagus
- 14 ounces Tri-Colored Tomatoes
- 1.5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice
• Cut ends off asparagus and discard; Cut asparagus into 2 inch pieces.• Put in a microwave safe bowl with 1 tbsp. water. Cover, then steam ~4 minutes until softened but still firm.• Cut the tri-color tomatoes in half• Chop the basil to desired size.• Make Dressing: mix the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Chill• Toss together asparagus, tri-colored tomatoes, basil and reduced-fat feta cheese. Wait to add dressing until before serving.Makes 5, 1-cup servings
Nutrition Tip: If taking this salad to a party, toss the salad ingredients together then cover and chill without the dressing. Make the dressing, but store in a separate container in the refrigerator. For best taste, wait to add the dressing to the salad until directly before serving.
Nutrition Info (per 1 cup serving): 130 calories, 8 grams’ carbohydrates, 3 grams’ fiber, 7 grams’ protein, 7 grams’ fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 370 mg sodium, 89 mg calcium (6% daily needs), 429 mg potassium (10% daily needs).
Meal Planning Servings- 0.5 CHO; 1 PRO; 1 FAT