Simple Shephard's Pie
This St. Patrick's Day, keep it simple with this instant shephard's pie recipe – made with lean ground beef, frozen vegetables and instant potatoes.
- 1 pound 97% lean ground beef
- 2 cups mixed vegetables, frozen
- 2 cups potato flakes, dry
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 packet beef gravy
Preheat oven to 400°. Spray large muffin tin with cooking spray.Cooked ground beef until done. Steam mixed vegetables in the microwave until done.Make instant potatoes according to the box ingredients (the 1 cup skim milk listed in the ingredient list is for the instant potatoes.)Prepare gravy according to directions. I used McCormick Beef gravy mix for this recipe, which was just prepared with water. Combine beef, beef gravy and mixed vegetables in a large bowl and stir well. Scoop ~1/2 cup of mixture into large muffin tins or individual baking dishes. Top with ~1/2 cup mashed potatoes. Using a fork, make lines in the top of the potatoes. Drizzle melted butter over each individual portion.Sprinkle with paprika and ground pepper.Transfer to oven and bake for ~30 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown.Makes 8 servings.
- Recipe Makes 8 servings
- Serving Size– 1 large muffin portion
- Nutrition Facts: 310 Calories, 51 carbohydrates, 4 fiber, 18 protein, 4 fat, 2 saturated fat, 40 cholesterol, 200 sodium, 6% daily calcium, 10% daily iron, 10% daily potassium