Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary & Ricotta
These twice –baked sweet potatoes are blended with creamy ricotta cheese, resulting in a highly nutritious, protein-packed creamy inside, and a crispy outside filled with the flavor and aroma of rosemary. A balanced meal all-in-one.
- 4 large sweet potatoes (~1# each; 4# total)
- 1 3/4 cups ricotta cheese, lite
- 2 small white onions
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 stems fresh Rosemary, chopped (~3 tbsp chopped)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, then line baking sheet with Parchment paper. Rinse sweet potatoes, and then prick them with a fork. Bake uncovered and unwrapped in the oven for ~1 hour. Let cool for 15 minutes.
Set aside 1 tbsp. chopped rosemary, 8 whole pecans, the remaining chopped pecans and ¼ cup ricotta cheese. These will be sued to top the sweet potatoes at the end.
Heat oil a medium skillet, then sauté dice onions until they begin to caramelize. This will take ~20 minutes. Add onions to a bowl with 1 ½ cup of the ricotta cheese. (Leave ¼ cup of cheese aside to top the potatoes.) Add the salt, pepper and 1 tbsp. chopped rosemary to the onions and ricotta. Stir until well combines.
Slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, then carefully hollow out with a spoon. Place the inside of the sweet potato in a bowl (a different bowl than the one that the ricotta cheese mixture is in.) Mash the flesh of the sweet potato well. Once the sweet potato is soft, add it to the ricotta cheese mixture and combine well.
Carefully spoon the potato mixture back into the potatoes skin, packing the potato down firmly. Sprinkle the remaining ricotta cheese, crushed pecans and rosemary to the top. Place a whole pecan on each potato. Bake until cheese is golden brown and sweet potatoes are warmed throughout, ~20 minutes.Serve and enjoy.
- Recipe makes 8 twice-baked potatoes.
- Serving Size: 1 twice-baked potato
- Nutrition Facts (per serving): 230 calories, 36 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 8 g protein, 6 g fat, 22 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 15% DV for potassium, 10% DV for iron
- Meal Planning Serving Sizes: 2.5 CHO; 1 PRO; 1 FAT