Classic Hummus with a Spicy Kick
This creamy hummus combines chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, tahini and cumin for a healthier, plant-based protein dip with a spicy kick. Enjoy it with vegetables and pita, or as a spread on crackers, sandwiches and wraps.
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3/4 tsp cumin, ground
- 4 garlic cloves, peeked and smashed
- 3/4 tsp salt
Crush the garlic with a garlic press, then add to a medium bowl with the tahini, olive oil, cumin, salt, and lemon juice. Stir well and set aside
Put chickpeas and ¼ cup water in a food processor and process for ~10 seconds. Stop to scrape the sides, then continue processing another ~10 seconds. Chickpeas will be dry and lumpy.
Add the tahini mixture to the chickpeas and process for ~30 seconds. Stop to scrape the sides, then continue to process for ~1-2 minutes. The hummus should be a super smooth consistency. If it seems too thick, add an additional tablespoon of water.
Taste and season with additional cumin, as desired
Enjoy immediately or transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate
- NOTE: Stays fresh for 3-4 days
- Makes: 3 1/4 cups of hummus
- Serving Size: ¼ cup
- Servings per recipe: 13
- Nutrition Facts: 150 calories, 12 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 2 grams sugar, 10 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 5 grams protein, 210 mg sodium, 2% DV potassium, 6% DV iron, 2% DV calcium.