Vegetable Packed Beef Chili
This healthier, vegetable-packed beef chili is made with lean beef, two types of beans and four different vegetables for a hearty, nutrition-packed meal. Enjoy it as a flavor-filled dinner or reheat it for a healthy lunch.
- 3/4 cup ground beef, 93% lean
- 1 3/4 cup frozen corn, defrosted or pre-cooked
- 1 can (15.5 oz) cannellini beans
- 1 can (15.5 oz) kidney beans
- 2 cups beef broth, reduced sodium
- 1 can (14.5 oz) crushed petite tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups (~35) cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
In a medium sauté pan, warm the olive oil over medium heat then add onions. Sauté for ~5 minutes or until they begin to soften, then add the ground beef. Cook over medium heat until browned.
Add the beef broth, both beans, all three diced peppers, corn, canned tomatoes and cherry tomatoes and then stir to combined. Next, stir in the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, making sure that all ingredients are well combined.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and allow to simmer ~45 minutes- 1 hour, stirring occasionally
Enjoy immediately or put in a sealed container in the refrigerator or freezer for another day.
- Suggested Garnish And Sides – shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, diced avocado, croutons, tortilla strips or chips or a small side salad.
- Recipe Makes: 8 cups of chili
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Servings Per Recipes:
- Nutrition Facts (per serving): 410 calories, 67 g carbohydrates, 19 g fiber, 22 g protein, 7 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 5 g cholesterol, 1150 mg sodium, 20% DV for potassium, 15% DV for calcium, 35% DV for iron.
- Meal Planning Servings: 4.5 CHO; 3 PRO; 1.5 FAT