Baked, Breaded Zucchini
This baked breaded zucchini is a crispy, crunchy alternative to the traditional fried option. It tastes great, and it's better for you.
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Egg White
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 tsp Ground dry Basil
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs (Italian or plain)
- 2 Medium Zucchinis
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F
Generously spray a large sheet pan (one large or two smaller pans) with cooking spray
Clean zucchini. Cut off both ends and discard. Cut each zucchini in half. Using a sharp knife or mandolin, slice the zucchini length wise, about ½” thick. You should get ~5 slices per zucchini per half, yielding ~20 slices of zucchini.) *Depending on the size of the zucchini and how thick you made each slice, you may end up with extra pieces; save the extras for another recipe
Beat egg, egg white, black pepper and basil together in a shallow bowl.
Combine bread crumbs with Parmesan Cheese in a bowl and mix well. Transfer to a plate.
Dip a piece of zucchini in the egg then coat in the bread crumbs. Transfer breaded zucchini onto the baking sheet in a single layer; repeat with all remaining slices.
Drizzle the olive oil evenly over the zucchini
Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven and flip zucchini. Bake another 5-7 minutes until zucchini is crunchy and golden brown.
Garnish with parsley and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Serve immediately with warm marinara sauce and a lemon wedge
- Recipe makes: 4 Servings
- Serving size: 5 Pieces
- Nutrition Facts (per 5 piece serving): 140 calories, 14 grams’ carbohydrate, 1 gram fiber, 7 grams’ protein, 5 grams’ total fat, 1.5 grams’ saturated fat, 340 mg sodium, 8% daily calcium, 6% daily iron, 6% daily potassium
- Meal Planning Serving Sizes: 1 CHO; 1 PRO; 1 FAT