This flavor-filled buffalo chicken dip puts a healthy spin on traditional versions, making it a perfect protein-packed appetizer for your next party or tailgate. Scoop it with up with veggies for a quick nutrient-packed snack.
It’s football season, friends! That means time for tailgating.
Buffalo chicken dip is one of the most popular tailagting foods around, but it’s not the healthiest way to cheer on your favorite team. Not to worry – I’m sharing the secret to slimming down the calories and fat, without sacrificing flavor. That way, you can enjoy more of this favorite party food! I promise, you won’t even know it’s better-for-you.
The key to any good buffalo chicken dip is the ranch dressing. For this recipe, I use my homemade Ranch dressing, combined with 1/3 less fat cream cheese. I also use fresh boneless, skinless chicken breast. If you have time, I suggest the chicken on a lower heat. This prevents the top from growing and makes it easier to shred.
I also prefer using a food processor to combine the other ingredients. It helps to smooth the cream cheese and makes the mixture super creamy.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the oven, and transfer it to a bowl. I like to shred the chicken with my hands, but you can also use a fork. Add the Ranch dressing mixture and stir well. Transfer to a baking dish and top with shredded cheese. Return to the oven and bake for ~20 minutes or until cheese is melted and the sides are just starting to turn brown. When finished, remive from oven an top with diced green onion.
This makes a perfect party food, and if you happen to have any left, you can enjoy the leftover for the days to come. It’s the perfect way to add protein to pizza (homemade buffalo chicken pizza is amazing!) or a buffalo chicken wrap for lunch the next day.
Whether you are in the parking lot, or your family room this buffalo chicken dip is sure to be a win. Give it a try, and let me know what you think.
Easy Healthier Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 32 oz Chicken Breast (raw, skinless, and boneless)
- 1/3 cup Hot Sauce, Cayenne Pepper (such as Frank Red Hot)
- 1/2 cup Reduced Fat Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing
- 8 ounces 1/3 Less Fat Plain Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp Fresh Green Onion (sliced)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (low heat)
- Remove any visible skin from the boneless, skinless chicken (you do not want any fat from the chicken in this dish.)
- Cut each breast into 4 pieces and place in a baking dish. Add chicken broth and bake on low heat for ~1.5-2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. If you have less time, increase temperature to 350 and cook 45-50 minutes.)
- Remove chicken from the oven and place the cooked breast in a large bowl. Set the liquid that resulted from cooking the chicken aside. Using your hands or a fork, pull the chicken apart until it is shredded in the bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup of the liquid broth (the liquid that was left behind in the baking dish) to the shredded chicken. Pour the remaining liquid into a separate bowl.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the hot sauce, cream cheese and ranch dressing in a bowl (you can also mix in a food processor to make it easier.) Once blended, stir into the chicken. *If you feel the mixture is too dry, add more liquid.
- Transfer the chicken mixture back to the baking dish, making sure to spread it evenly. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar. Bake in the oven for ~20 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Garnish with 2 tbsp. green onion
- Recipe Makes: 18 Servings
- Nutrition Facts (per ¼ cup serving): 110 calories, 2 grams’ carbohydrates, 13 grams’ protein, 5 grams’ fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 300 mg sodium
- Meal Planning Servings: 0 CHO; 2 PRO; 1 FAT
SAVE THIS RECIPE! If you want to remember this recipe, but nare ot ready to make it – save it! Pin it to your Appetizer or Party Food Board on Pinterest.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Tag @heathermangieri on Instagram and hashtag it #HeatherMangieriNutrition