This Greek yogurt cream cheese filling is a great way to slim-down your favorite treat. Use is in place of traditional cream cheese icing to make pumpkin roll, carrot cake or other dessert.
I love when I make things and they turn out tasty the first time! That’s what happened when I made this cream cheese filling. I needed a cream cheese filling for my protein packed pumpkin roll, so I started messing around in the kitchen. It was way easier than I thought it would be to create a healthier version of traditional icing.
Healthy Substitutions In This Cream Cheese Icing
I started with an obvious substitution. I swapped a block of 1/3 less fat cream cheese for the full-fat variety. Since the reduced fat variety holds contains more water, I knew I needed to add an ingredient that would help maintain the thickness of the icing. That’s when I added the plain Greek yogurt. This healthier substiution also takes the place of the butter.
It’s thinner than traditional icing, but I wouldn’t call it thin. It has a fantastic cream cheese flavor and works great when used as a drizzle, dip or filling. It was a great filling for my pumpkin roll, and we ate the leftovers with fresh fruit. The kids loved it and I loved that they were getting some extra nutrition with their sweet treat.
This Greek yogurt cream cheese filling is 70 calories per 2 tablesppon serving, and even contributes some protein. If you’ve been looking for a lightened up version of traditional icing, definitely give this recipe a try. Let me know what you think.
Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt, non-fat
- 1 block 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese
- 1.25 cups Powdered Sugar
- Combine Greek yogurt and cream cheese in a bowl and stir together. Transfer to a food processor and process until blended. Slowly add the powdered sugar until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Recipe makes 2 1/2 cups icing or 18 servings
- Serving Size: 2 Tbsp.
- Nutrition Facts (per serving): 70 calories,, 10 g carbohydrates,, 2 g protein, 2.5 grams fat, 1.5 g saturated fat,, 5 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Tag @heathermangierion Instagram and hashtag it #HeatherMangieriNutrition