This three bean salad is a great source of protein, fiber, folate, iron and a good source of many other nutrients. And best of all – it is portable!
Protein – it’s a popular nutrient these days! Most of us have plenty of oideas for how to pack it into dinner; it’s finding new ways to pack protein into snacks and lunch that can be a challenge. Especially if that protein needs to be portable.
That’s why I decided to post my healthier version for traditional three-bean salad. Three-bean salad is packed full of plant-based protein, and is served cold. That means takng it with you is easy. My version is higher in protein and has less sugar, fat and calories than traditional recipes.
In addition to being a great source of protein, it’s a grat source of fiber, folate and iron, and it’s a good source of many other nutrients. Best of all, it is portable! Another perfect way for you to pack protein on-the-go.
Low-fat Three Bean Salad
- 1 3/4 cup Black Beans
- 1 3/4 cup Red Kidney Beans
- 1 3/4 cup Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 2 cups Corn (cooked)
- 1 Medium Tomato or 1 can of Diced Tomatoes (drained)
- 1/2 Red Onion (diced)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 5 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Lime Juice
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Chill to allow flavors to combine.
- Makes 7 cups fo bean salad
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Servings per recipe: 14
- Nutrition Facts (per serving): 110 calories, 6 grams protein, 20 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram fat, 5 grams fiber, 8% daily iron needs.