Never worry about running out of taco seasoning again – keep your own homemade spice blend on-hand, so you can make a last minute meal, even if you’re tight on time.
I love tacos. I am embarrassed to admit how much we eat them in my house. Let’s just say, a lot!
To make my life easy, I have a huge jar of homemade taco seasoning in the pantry, at all times.
Who need’s store bought taco seasoning when you can make your own? Ok, busy parents might.
It’s not that I’m against the packets you can buy at the store. Those are definitely convenient. But, making your own is just as easy. And, having a jar of homemade means I can make tacos without having a packet of seasoning around.
How To Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
By keeping a few staple spices on-hand, you can make a quick taco meal in minutes.
To make, just combine chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Once combines, pour the seasoning blend into an air-tight container or jar, and store it until you are ready to make tacos.
It’s really that easy! I’ve used this seasoning mix to make ground taco meat so many times. It always gets great reviews. Give it a try, and let me know what you think.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, ground
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Combine the spices together in a bowl and mix well. Transfer to an airtight jar for storage.Before each use, shake the jar well to combine the spices.
- Recipe makes 5 Tbsp of seasoning mix
- ~1 tsp = 1 taco
- For tacos, mix 2-3 Tbsp. seasoning per pound of protein. Combine with 2/3 cup water and simmer until water and spices are fully absorbed into the meat.
- 3 Tbsp. seasoning mix is equal to a 4 oz. packet of store bought seasoning mix.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Tag @heathermangieri on Instagram and hashtag it #HeatherMangieriNutrition to all recipes. Or, Pin it on Pinterest for later!