Take your morning meal to the next level with this beautiful bowl of power protein oats! Each serving provides 17 grams of protein and the complex carbohydrates you need to power through your day!
I’ve heard every excuse in the book why people skip breakfast – no time; no appetite; no interest. Sorry, friends, no excuses.
Let’s Talk About Breakfast
There’s a reason why breakfast holds the title as the most important meal of the day – it’s the meal that prepares you for a productive and energizing day. Evidence shows that breakfast eaters have better concentration, attention span and memory. Studies also show that breakfast eaters are more likely to take in adequate iron, the nutrient that helps transport oxygen throughout your body – helping you stay energized. I think we can all use more of that.
There’s another important reason to eat a morning meal, too. The nutrients that you eat first thing in the morning contribute to your daily vitamin and mineral requirement. Skipping breakfast makes it difficult to get everything you need, because you have less hours in the day to get them in. I know some of you reading are guilty of this, but loading up on food in the evening is not the solution.
If you’re not sure what to make for breakfast, you’re in luck! I’m sharing this power oats recipe to show you how quick and easy it is to put together a nourishing meal in minutes.
The Oats Blend – Whole Grains, Fiber & Protein
Whole grain oats are packed full of complex carbohydrates. This type of carbohydrate breaks down slower than simple sugars, meaning it releases slower into your blood stream. That results in a slow gradual release of energy to fuel your morning.
Oats, however, don’t have much protein in them, and I’m a huge advocate of protein at breakfast. I solved that problem by incorporating skim milk and plain Greek yogurt. Those two ingredients are both great sources of high-quality protein. When combined with your oats, the result is a balanced meal.
The Toppings – The Phytonutrients & Flavor
Now for the fun part – adding phytonutrients and flavor! I topped this power oatmeal bowl with frozen mixed berries, melted peanut butter, granola, a few banana slices and a drizzle of honey. OMG! You get flavor in every single bite and it only takes 5 minutes to make. Not to mention, it’s beautiful!
If you’ve been looking for and quick, easy, nutritious and delicious meal to make in the morning, give this a try. It makes a balanced lunch or dinner, too. In fact, have it any tiem of day!
Power Protein Oats Topped with Fruit and Granola
- 2 cups oats, uncooked
- 3.5 cups slim milk
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries
- 15 each pecan halves
- 3 tsp peanut butter, melted
- 3 tsp honey
- • Put raw oats in a large bowl with milk and microwave for ~3 minutes. Stir. Microwave an additional minute if needed.• Add in Greek yogurt and stir until well blended.• Pour into 3 serving bowls, then top with berries, 5 pecan halves, a drizzle of melted peanut butter and a drizzle of honey.• Serve warm.• Recipe makes 4 servings.
- Nutrition Facts(per serving): 270 calories, 35 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein, 10 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 15% daily Vitamin D, 25% daily Calcium, 6% daily iron, 10% daily potassium
- Meal Planning Servings: 2 CHO, 2 PRO, 2 FAT
Do you eat breakfast? What’s your go-to morning meal?