Cheese lovers rejoice – you can enjoy your favorite creamy comfort food and get your protein, too. This homestyle macaroni and cheese is packed with 21 grams of protein per servings and tastes absolutely delicious.
Macaroni and cheese, please! That’s what I hear from many of my clients. This creamy comfort food tops the charts a favorite; unfortunately, traditional recipes don’t make the cut for being balanced.
Read what I mean by balanced eating.
Not to fear cheese lovers. You don’t have to forgo your favorite food altogether. Since so many of my clients want to include this creamy comfort food on their meal rotation, I created a version that I can comfortably recommend. That means it is flavorful, easy to make, and balanced in all 3 macronutrients- carbohydrates, protein and fats. It also provides loads of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
This doesn’t mean you have to give-up your favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. I still want you to enjoy it on occasion. This protein-packed variety, though, can be enjoyed any time you choose.
Protein-Packed-Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 cups Water
- 16 oz Box of Cellentani Pasta
- 1 cup Skim Milk
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 2 cups 2% Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
- 3 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 4 1/2 cups Frozen Broccoli
- 1/3 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- – Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F– In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add the Cellentani (or pasta of your choice) and boil until firm– Placde broccoli in a microwave safe dish and steam until cooked, but still firm. (~10 minutes) Sit aside.– Drain the macaroni and return it to the pan.– Put the cottage cheese in a Cuisinart and blend until completely pureed. Add 1 cup milk, 1 tbsp. corn starch and black pepper, then continue mixing. Pour this into the macaroni. Stir well.– Add the 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese and continue to stir over medium-low heat until completely melted.– Add the cooked broccoli and gently stir to combineTransfer the macaroni to a 9 X13 baking pan
– Melt the butter and mix it into the bread crumbs. Crumble topping over the macaroni and transfer to the oven.– Bake 5-8 minutes until the bread crumbs are golden brown and the cheese bubbles.Recipe Makes: 10 Servings Serving Size: 1 ½ cupsPairing Recommendation: This recipe is made to include everything you need for the meal. Add color by serving with a side of carrots, a small dark-green leafy salad or other colorful non-starchy vegetable.
- Nutrition Facts (per serving) - 400 calories, 44 grams’ carbohydrates, 2 grams’ fiber, 21 grams’ protein, 16 grams’ fat, 8 grams saturated fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 470 mg sodium, 30% daily calcium, 6% daily iron, 6% daily potassium
- Meal Planning Servings: 3 CHO; 3 PRO; 3 FAT