The holidays are approaching, so I’m sharing one of my favorite go-to appetizers. This buffalo chicken dip is filled with all the flavor of traditional recipes, but with less calories, fat and sodium. That way, you can eat more of it, without feeling like you are going to explode. And I promise, you won’t realize they are missing!
I use my homemade, low-fat Ranch dressing combined with 1/3 less fat cream cheese and always use fresh boneless, skinless chicken breast. This makes a perfect party food, then you can use the leftovers to make a homemade buffalo chicken pizza or a buffalo chicken wrap for lunch the next day.
Reduced Fat Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 32 oz Chicken Breast (raw, skinless, and boneless)
- 1/3 cup Hot Sauce, Cayenne Pepper (such as Frank Red Hot)
- 1/2 cup Reduced Fat Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing
- 1/3 Less Fat Plain Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp Fresh Green Onion (sliced)
- • Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (low heat)• Remove any visible skin from the boneless, skinless chicken (you do not want any fat from the chicken in this dish.) Cut each breast into 4 pieces and place in a baking dish. Bake on low heat for ~2 hours (low heat for a longer time makes it easier to shred the chicken. If you have less time, increase temperature to 350 and cook 45-50 minutes.) Remove chicken from the oven and place the cooked breast in a large bowl. Set the liquid that resulted from cooking the chicken aside. Using your hands or a fork, pull the chicken apart until it is shredded in the bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the liquid broth (the liquid that was left behind in the baking dish) to the shredded chicken. Pour the remaining liquid into a separate bowl.• Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F.• Mix the hot sauce, cream cheese and ranch dressing in a bowl (you can also mix in a food processor to make it easier.) Once blended, stir into the chicken. *If you feel the mixture is too dry, add more liquid.• Transfer the chicken mixture back to the baking dish, making sure to spread it evenly. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar. Bake in the oven for ~20 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Garnish with 2 tbsp. green onionRecipe Makes 18 Servings
Nutrition CheckUp Servings for Meal Planning: 0 CHO; 2 PRO; 1 FAT