This flavor-filled buffalo chicken dip is the perfect protein-packed appetizer for your next party of tailgate. Scoop it with veggies for a quick nutrient-packed snack.
The holidays are approaching, so I’m sharing one of my favorite go-to appetizers – buffalo chicken dip! This version is slimmed down from traditional recipes, but with so much flavor, you’d never know it. That means you can eat more! And I promise, you won’t even know it’s better-for-you.
I use my homemade, low-fat Ranch dressing combined with 1/3 less fat cream cheese and always use fresh boneless, skinless chicken breast. This makes a perfect party food, then you can use the leftovers to make a homemade buffalo chicken pizza or a buffalo chicken wrap for lunch the next day.
Give it a try, and let me know what you think.
Reduced-Fat Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 32 oz Chicken Breast (raw, skinless, and boneless)
- 1/3 cup Hot Sauce, Cayenne Pepper (such as Frank Red Hot)
- 1/2 cup Reduced Fat Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing
- 1/3 Less Fat Plain Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp Fresh Green Onion (sliced)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (low heat)
- Remove any visible skin from the boneless, skinless chicken (you do not want any fat from the chicken in this dish.)
- Cut each breast into 4 pieces and place in a baking dish. Bake on low heat for ~2 hours (low heat for a longer time makes it easier to shred the chicken. If you have less time, increase temperature to 350 and cook 45-50 minutes.)
- Remove chicken from the oven and place the cooked breast in a large bowl. Set the liquid that resulted from cooking the chicken aside. Using your hands or a fork, pull the chicken apart until it is shredded in the bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of the liquid broth (the liquid that was left behind in the baking dish) to the shredded chicken. Pour the remaining liquid into a separate bowl.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the hot sauce, cream cheese and ranch dressing in a bowl (you can also mix in a food processor to make it easier.) Once blended, stir into the chicken. *If you feel the mixture is too dry, add more liquid.
- Transfer the chicken mixture back to the baking dish, making sure to spread it evenly. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar. Bake in the oven for ~20 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Garnish with 2 tbsp. green onion
- Recipe Makes: 18 Servings
- Nutrition Facts (per ¼ cup serving): 110 calories, 2 grams’ carbohydrates, 13 grams’ protein, 5 grams’ fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 300 mg sodium
- Meal Planning Servings: 0 CHO; 2 PRO; 1 FAT