This ricotta and blackberry toast is filled with high-quality protein, fiber and phytonutrients. Make it for a quick balanced breakfast or as a snack to fuel you between meals.
When it comes to quick meals, there’s nothing much easier than popping a piece of a toast in the toaster. Though it might not seem like a balanced meal, if you top it with the right ingredients, it can be.
Toast, by itself, is a source of complex carbohydrates. Depending on the variety bread you use, it can also be a good source of fiber. If you choose the right toppings, you can create a meal that contains complex carbohydrates, protein and fat, as well as vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. If you’re not sure why a variety of nutrients are important, my article Building a Balanced Meal explains more.
How To Make Ricotta And Blackberry Toast
Making ricotta and blackberry toast is as simple as it sounds. Just choose your favorite bread, toast it, then spread ricotta cheese over the top. Then, top it with sliced blackberries, slivered almonds and a drizzle of honey. I recommend using a heartier bread, not only becasue they taste better, but they also tend to have a better nutrient profile.
The whole wheat toast, blackberries and honey supply both complex and simple carbohydrates, while the ricotta cheese and almonds provide protein and fats. This combination not only delivers the nutrition that you need, it is filled with flavors that make eating enjoyable. The best part, it only takes a few minutes to make.
The next time you’re in a rush and need something quick, pop a piece of toast in the toaster and top it with ricotta and blackberries. Then, you can run out the door with a meal you can feel good about eating. If you like it, you might also like this ricotta and pear on pumpernickel.
Ricotta and Blackberry Toast
- 1 slice 100% whole wheat bread
- 1/3 cup lite Ricotta Cheese
- 1 tsp. slice almonds
- 1/4 tsp. honey
- 1/10 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup fresh blackberries
- Toast whole wheat bread. Spread with ricotta cheese, then top with sliced blackberries and almonds and rosemary. Drizzle with honey. Serve warm.
- Recipes Makes 1 Serving
- Serving Size: 1 Slice Ricotta and Blueberry Toast
- Nutrition Facts (per serving): 210 calories, 28 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein, 5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 2% daily potassium, 15% daily calcium, 6% daily iron