A few months ago, I wrote a post explaining why I say yes to sandwiches and I shared my favorite go-to. While that simple turkey sandwich is a staple in my diet, I love to jazz things up when I have time. Adding different flavors and textures can take a sandwich from dull to delicious in minutes.
I added pizzazz to this roast beef and provolone on pumpernickel by topping it with a simple slaw. The tartness of the slaw mixed with the hearty beef and wholesome pumpernickel is one of my favorite flavor combinations. This sandwich is delicious cold, but, if you have more time, this sandwich tastes amazing grilled. Combine the roast beef and the simple slaw together in a pan and heat. Toast the provolone on the pumpernickel, and then add the beef and slaw to make a warm toasted version. So good!
Roast Beef and Provolone on Pumpernickel (with Simple Slaw)
- 2 Slices of Pumpernickel Bread
- 1 Deli Slice of Provolone
- 2 ounces Roast Beef
- 1/2 cup Simple Slaw
- 2 Slices of Tomato
- • Simple Slaw- put 3 cups shredded cabbage in a bowl with 4 tsp. rice vinegar, 1/3 cup light mayo, 1/12 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Mix well. Cover; let sit in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour before using.• Layer all ingredients between two slices of pumpernickel bread. Cut down the center. Eat immediately.*Tip: Use your hand to collect 3 dashes of salt from a shaker. That is the amount recommended to flavor the slaw.*Tip: If you buy pre-packaged cabbage to use for the slaw, your prep-time decreases to 2 minutes!*Note: This is a high sodium meal
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich (recipe is for 1 sandwich)
- Nutrition Facts: 380 Calories, 37 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein, 15 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 55 mg cholesterol, 1740 mg sodium, 20% daily calcium, 20% daily iron
If you try it, let me know what you think. Leave a comment below or share a picture. Tag @heathermangieri so I can see your sandwich worth sharing.