This hot, home-style, simple beef stew incorporates fiber-rich carbohydrates, protein, fats, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients all into one dish, and it’s delicious!
The weather is getting cooler – and that means my mood is moving toward making hearty stews and warm soups. This beef stew recipe is a classic – simple but tasty and a favorite of everyone in the house. Even the kids!
Simple Beef Stew Is Delicious & Smells Amazing
This simple beef stew is the one meal that I make that all three kids will eat without complaining. That reason alone makes me want to put it on the menu more often! It makes the entire house smell delicious
The Meal Is A Nutritional Super Star
Nutritionally speaking, beef stew is a total winner, incorporating all of the macronutrients into one meal, as well as vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. I also like it because you can tailor it to your taste buds. Incorporate the vegetables that you and your family like, or the ones that you have left over in the refrigerator.
It’s Easy To Make
If you’re familiar with my philosophy and recipes, then you know that I’m not one to use lots of ingredients. Most of the time, if I don’t have what I need to make the dish, it’s not getting made. This simple beef stew recipe uses minimal ingredients, which means it’s a simple recipe to follow and doesn’t require a lot of time. recipe shared below is not the crock-pot version, but it still simmers on the stovetop over an hour. You can do something else while it is cooking. This gives you time to catch up with the kids, do homework, or clean the kitchen while it cooks.
Be sure to make a big pot of this simple beef stew so that you have leftovers for the week. It re-heats well, so you can take it to work or school in a food jar.
Serve it in a festive dish and you have a perfect, no-fuss, holiday meal.
Simple Beef Stew
- 2 pounds beef filet or top sirloin trimming the fat
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 packet of beef stew seasoning mix
- 2 medium carrots cleaned and sliced
- 40 ounces raw with skin on and diced
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Coat beef with flour. Over medium heat, warm oil in a large skillet. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides.Add seasoning packet to 3 cups of water and stir well. Pour mixture over the beef and bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.While the meat is cooking, prep the potatoes and carrots. Peel the onion and slice in half. (Do not cut the onion. It will be added for flavor but later removed.)Add the diced potatoes, sliced carrots and 1/2 onion to the meat.Simmer for 1 hour or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Recipe makes 8 servings
- Serving Size- 1 cup
- Pairing Recommendation – serve with 1 slice crusty bread and 1 serving fruit
- Nutrition Facts (per 1-cup serving)- 320 calories, 31 grams’ carbohydrate, 3 grams’ fiber, 30 grams’ protein, 8 grams’ fat, 2 grams’ saturated fat, 80 mg cholesterol, 610 mg sodium, 20% daily iron, 25% daily potassium
- Meal Planning Servings: 2 CHO; 4 PRO; 2 FAT
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Tag @heathermangieri on Instagram and hashtag it #HeatherMangieriNutrition to all recipes.