This simple lasagna is a delicious high -protein, nutritious meal for busy nights and it’s made busy mom style – with only six ingredients!
Lasagna is one of those classic Italian dishes that has been filling plates for years. I love it because there are so many ways to make it, and you can adjust according to what you have on hand. I especially love this simple recipe, because it’s made with only 6 ingredients and requires very little prep time.
How To Make This Simple Six Ingredient Lasagna
All you need is a square baking dish, your favorite sauce, lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. Lay sauce on the bottom, then add a layer noodles, ricotta, tomatoes and more sauce. Continue building those layers until you get to the top. I used the oven ready lasagna noodles for this dish to speed up the cooking time.
Once you layered your lasagna, sprinkle with pepper and any other Italian seasonings that you like. Cover with foil, then bake in the oven for ~20 minutes at 375 degrees. Then, increase the oven to 400, uncover and bake an additional ~15 minutes. Your lasagna will have a nice, crispy top with a deliciously creamy inside.
Traditional lasagna recipes tend to be very high in fat and calories. I mean like – the most caloric item on the menu – high. So, if you’re trying to watch your total daily intake, you’ll want to be mindful of the preparation method, or save this dish for a homemade meal.
A few some simple swaps can make this a delicious and highly nutritious addition to your meal rotation.
The recipe below is reduced in fat from traditional recipes, but it’s by no means low-fat. I used light ricotta cheese and made sure to measure the mozzarella. Measuring ingredients is the best way to be sure you don’t overdo it. It’s way too easy to get carried away with the toppings!
This simple recipe provides a nice balance of carbohydrates, fat, and protein, just the way a nourishing meal should be! You can boost the nutritional quality more by adding additional vegetables as you layer it.
Leftovers are my saving grace when it comes to eating healthy. I always consider what will taste good reheated when I’m planning what meals to make for the week. Keeping meals simple, and eating the same foods day after day is ok, but meal prep should include lots of variety – that’s how you get all of the vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients you need to stay healthy. It also helps prevent boredom.
This lasagna makes a great easy dinner, but doubles as a healthy lunch the next day. It tastes just reheated as it does out of the oven.
Give this recipe a try, and let me know what you think!
Simple 6-ingredient Lasagna
- 4 cups Of your Favorite Sauce (even homemade)
- 24 ounces Light Ricotta Cheese
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 6 Pieces of Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles
- 1/3 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Stir together the light ricotta cheese and the parmesan cheese in a large mixing bowl. Slice the tomatoes thin
- Begin to layer the lasagna: Begin to layer lasagna. Cover over the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish with sauce, then place two pieces of dry lasagna noodles to cover the bottom. Cover dry noodles with a thick layer of cheese mixture, lay tomato slices over the cheese. Cover with more sauce. Continue layering until you have 3 layers of noodles.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Top it off with pepper, basil and parsley (as desired.)
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for ~20 minutes. Increase temperature to 400 degree, uncover and bake an additional ~15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Enjoy.
- Makes 6 servings
- Nutrition Information per Serving: 330 calories, 36 grams’ carbohydrates, 21 grams’ protein, 11 grams’ fat, 3.5 mg saturated fat, 506 mg (40%) calcium, 2 mg (10%) iron, 688 mg (15%) potassium, 890 mg sodium
- Meal Planning Servings: 2.5 CHO; 3 PRO; 2 FAT
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Tag @heathermangieri on Instagram and hashtag it #HeatherMangieriNutrition to all recipes. Or, Pin it on Pinterest for later!