Spice up your favorite food with this blueberry balsamic salsa! It’s the perfect blend of sweet, savory and spicy – all mixed into one fresh and flavorful recipe.
I eat a lot of salsa – especially when it’s made fresh. If only it wasn’t so time consuming to cut up all of the fresh ingredients! Luckily, there are lots of fresh store-bought options available these days.
Salsa is a geat condiment for many foods. Aside from the flavor, it adds texture and boosts the nutritional value significantly. That’s actually why this spicy blueberry balsamic recipe was created. I needed a side dish that would pair well with white fish.
See, my kids will eat fish, but only if it’s prepared plain. Good for them; bad for me! I need flavor. This salsa is perfect because the fish can be prepared plain, then dressed up with as much salsa as you want. Everyone wins!
There are endless ways to enjoy this salsa and the bright colors make it a great option for a holiday party. I share a few suggestions below on how to try this salsa. Give it a try, and let me know what you think.
- Spoon it over fish or chicken to add flavor to your otherwise plain protein.
- Use it as a nutrient rich-dip with your favorite tortilla chips
- Top tacos, fajitas or meatballs with this salsa to add a flavorful kick
- Use it to make a marinate by crushing the berries then brush the mixture over shrimp or chicken before grilling.
- Use it as a way to add flavor and nourishment to a baked potato
Spicy Blueberry Balsamic Salsa
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice (fresh or bottled)
- 1 pint Rinsed Blueberries
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 3 Green Onions (rinsed and chopped)
- 1 Small Jalapeno Pepper (diced)
- 1/3 cup Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- • Rinse all produce before getting started. Place the whole blueberries in a bowl. Add the chopped cilantro, red pepper, jalapeno, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir all ingredients together lightly. Refrigerate before servingMakes ~3 cups
- Nutrition Facts per 1/2 cup serving: 40 calories, 10 grams’ carbohydrates, 2 grams’ fiber, 1 gram protein, 0 grams’ fat, 100 mg sodium.
- Meal Planning Serving Size: 0.5 CHO; 0 PRO; 0 FAT
Can you think of another way to use this salsa? Share your idea so we can share it with others.