It’s May my friends and that means it’s almost time for Memorial Day! Are you having a picnic, or going to one? If so, have you started thinking about what you will take to the picnic?
I’ve been in the kitchen tweaking traditional recipes and creating new summer salads that meet my recipe criteria– my clients in mind, of course!
- Must be delicious; because taste trumps!
- Must be nutritious; because I care about your health and I am committed to showing you that delicious and nutritious can co-exist!
- Must be colorful; because presentation matters!
This tri-colored tomato and asparagus salad meets all three of the above criteria. Its multi-colors will brighten up any picnic spread and it’s loaded with fiber, phytonutrients, vitamins & minerals. It received a 5-star review from every single one of my taste testers. That means it is officially ready for the blog!
Below I share the recipe and the nutrition facts. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Tri-Colored Tomato and Asparagus Salad
- 1/2 cup Reduced Fat Feta Cheese
- 1 cup Chopped Basil Leaves
- 1 pound Fresh Asparagus
- 14 ounces Tri-Colored Tomatoes
- 1.5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- • Cut ends off asparagus and discard; Cut asparagus into 2 inch pieces.• Put in a microwave safe bowl with 1 tbsp. water. Cover, then steam ~4 minutes until softened but still firm.• Cut the tri-color tomatoes in half• Chop the basil to desired size.• Make Dressing: mix the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Chill• Toss together asparagus, tri-colored tomatoes, basil and reduced-fat feta cheese. Wait to add dressing until before serving.Makes 5, 1-cup servings
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Tag @heathermangieri on Instagram and hashtag it #HeatherMangieriNutrition