If you open my refrigerator on any given day, you’ll find a bulk-sized bag of 6” inch flour tortilla. They make it so simple to put together a quick meal, from a morning breakfast burrito to a well-planned fajita dinner, or even a cold wrap sandwich that can be eaten on the go. Quesadillas are popular in my house too; and of course, tacos.
A few months ago, I posted a photo of these jerk chicken tacos from a dinner I prepared. I received loads of requests for the recipe, but, because it involves multiple steps, I never shared it. At last, I finally completed the nutrition analysis and am sharing the recipe. I make my own jerk seasoning blend, which I intend to post eventually. For now, I share how to prepare the jerk chicken, the citrus salsa and the spicy cream sauce. The combination of these flavors is amazing. I hope you love it as much as my family does.
Jerk Chicken Tacos with Citrus Sala
- 1.5 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Jerk Chicken
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Jerk Chicken
- 1/4 cup Lime Juice Jerk Chicken
- 2 tbsp Jerk Seasoning Jerk Chicken
- 1/2 tsp Salt Salsa
- 1 cup Pineapple Salsa
- 1 Medium Orange Diced Salsa
- 1 Medium Tomato Diced Salsa
- 1/2 Red Onion Diced Salsa
- 1 Jalapeno Diced (optional) Salsa
- 1/4 cup Cilantro Diced Salsa
- 1/2 cup Fat Free Sour Cream Spicy Cream Sauce
- 1/4 cup Non-Fat Greek Yogurt (plain) Spicy Cream Sauce
- 1 tbsp Habanero Sauce Spicy Cream Sauce
- 12 Flour or Corn Small Tortillas Taco Shells
- Jerk Chicken- Cut chicken breasts into bite size pieces. In a medium bowl, combine diced chicken, lemon juice, 1 tbsp. oil and jerk seasoning, making sure the chicken is evenly coated. Let marinate for 5-10 minutes.Make the Salsa- While the chicken is marinating, make the salsa. Dice the pineapple, orange, tomato, red onion and jalapeno pepper then put in a bowl. Add the chopped cilantro and salt. Stir well. Set aside.Make the Spicy Cream Sauce- Combine the sour cream, Greek yogurt and the habanero sauce. Stir well. Set aside.Add the rest of the oil to a skillet and warm over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned chicken to the oil and cook until done (internal temperature should reach 165 degrees), ~ 5-7 minutes.Spoon chicken onto warm taco shells, top with salsa and a spoonful of creamy sauce. Garnish with cilantro.
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think. Leave a comment below, or share a picture with me! Make sure to tag #HeatherMangieri on IG so that I can find it.
Nutrition CheckUp Meal Planning Serving: = 3 CHO; 4 PRO; 2.5 FAT