These jerk chicken tacos with citrus salsa and spicy sauce are packed full of nutrients and filled with flavor.
Tacos – who doesn’t love them? They are on my weekly menu at least once a week, and usually more. It’s ok thogh, because there are so many different ways to make them, it’s hard to get tired of the tatse.
If you open my refrigerator on any given day, you’ll find a bulk-sized bag of 6” inch flour tortilla. Aside from tacos, they are perfect for other quick meals, too. We use them to make morning breakfast burritos, pizza and both hot and cold wraps. Quesadillas and fajita night are popular in my house too. A favorite recipe in my house, though, is these jerk chicken tacos with homemade citrus salsa.
A few months ago, I posted a photo of these jerk chicken tacos from a dinner I prepared. I received loads of requests for the recipe, so I decided to add it to my blog. Completing the nutritional analysis has been on my to-do list for weeks, and I finally got it done.
I make my own jerk seasoning blend, which I intend to post eventually. For now, I share how to prepare the jerk chicken, the citrus salsa and the spicy cream sauce. The combination of these flavors is amazing. You can tame the spicyness to your own liking. I make two different bacthes of the spicy cream sauce since my kids like it more on the mild side.
I hope you love it as much as my family does.
Jerk Chicken Tacos with Citrus Sala
- 1.5 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Jerk Chicken
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Jerk Chicken
- 1/4 cup Lime Juice Jerk Chicken
- 2 tbsp Jerk Seasoning Jerk Chicken
- 1/2 tsp Salt Salsa
- 1 cup Pineapple Salsa
- 1 Medium Orange Diced Salsa
- 1 Medium Tomato Diced Salsa
- 1/2 Red Onion Diced Salsa
- 1 Jalapeno Diced (optional) Salsa
- 1/4 cup Cilantro Diced Salsa
- 1/2 cup Fat Free Sour Cream Spicy Cream Sauce
- 1/4 cup Non-Fat Greek Yogurt (plain) Spicy Cream Sauce
- 1 tbsp Habanero Sauce Spicy Cream Sauce
- 12 Flour or Corn Small Tortillas Taco Shells
- Jerk Chicken- Cut chicken breasts into bite size pieces. In a medium bowl, combine diced chicken, lemon juice, 1 tbsp. oil and jerk seasoning, making sure the chicken is evenly coated. Let marinate for 5-10 minutes.Make the Salsa- While the chicken is marinating, make the salsa. Dice the pineapple, orange, tomato, red onion and jalapeno pepper then put in a bowl. Add the chopped cilantro and salt. Stir well. Set aside.Make the Spicy Cream Sauce- Combine the sour cream, Greek yogurt and the habanero sauce. Stir well. Set aside.Add the rest of the oil to a skillet and warm over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned chicken to the oil and cook until done (internal temperature should reach 165 degrees), ~ 5-7 minutes.Spoon chicken onto warm taco shells, top with salsa and a spoonful of creamy sauce. Garnish with cilantro.
- Recipe Makes: 6 Servings
- Serving Size: 2 Tacos
- Nutrition Facts (per serving): 400 Calories, 43 Carbohydrates, 2 Fiber, 32 g Protein, 12 g Total Fat, 2.5 g Saturated Fat, 550 mg Sodium, 6% daily iron, 71 mg daily calcium, 581 mg daily potassium
- Meal Planning Serving Sizes: = 3 CHO; 4 PRO; 2.5 FAT
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Tag @heathermangieri on Instagram and hashtag it #HeatherMangieriNutrition to all recipes.